Apply now for a Deer Firearm/Muzzleloader Permit!
Walnut Point State Park
Site Contact Info
- Office phone: 217-346-3336
- Office address: 2331 East County Rd 370 N, Oakland, IL 61943
- Site coordinates: 39.705558 -88.030391
- County: Douglas
- Site Superintendent
- District Wildlife Biologist
- Conservation Police
- Huntable acres: 603
- Habitat: wooded ravines on and along the river, dominated by various species of mature hardwoods surrounding a 60 acre lake. Stands of large pine, feral fields and shrubby areas are scattered throughout. Site is subject to controlled burns for habitat management during the fall.
- Digital Map
- Printable Map
Site Specific Regulations
- Hunters must park in a designated parking spot, no pull off parking.
- All statewide hunting regulations apply at site unless noted hereafter.
- Site requires use of windshield card, displayed on vehicle dashboard, to report hunting effort and harvest by 15 February.
- Use Hunt Planner to find hunting seasons open at this site.
- The Upper Embarras Woods Nature Preserve is closed to all hunting except Archery Deer.
- No hunting of any type is allowed in the campground, except raccoon hunting is allowed throughout site.
- Up to 1 tree stand or ground blind per hunter may be installed 2 weeks prior to the deer season start date and they must be removed no later than 2 weeks following the season end date. The name and address or windshield card number must be affixed to the tree stand or ground blind.
- Site is subject to burns in both spring and fall.
- Statewide regulations, except only antlered deer may be harvested October 1-15. Antlerless deer may be harvested beginning October 16.
- The designated hunting area has one hard plastic, handicapped-accessible hunting blind. The blind will accommodate up to two people, one licensed hunter and an optional assistant.
- Applications may be completed on site, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to: Walnut Point State Park, 2331 East County Rd 370 N, Oakland, IL 61943.
- The open application period will be annually from August 1st until September 15th.
- Hunters may select up to 3 weekly hunting periods on their application, if awarded each applicant will be given one week to hunt.
- Weekly hunting periods will start on Monday and go through the following Sunday.
- There will be no standby option.
- Successful applicants will be required to show proof of Class P2A or higher disability, purchase statewide archery deer permits and meet all license requirements prior to hunting.
- Application found here.
- Fall Archery
- Statewide regulations.
- Waterfowl hunting not permitted.
- Statewide regulations.
- May use shotguns, .22 rimfire rifle, black powder rifles and air rifles.
- Rabbit hunting not permitted.
- Upland bird hunting not permitted.
- Statewide regulations, except that must use only Egg traps, D-P (Dog-proof) traps, box traps, cage traps, and traps of similar design for land sets.
- Raccoon hunting only
- Statewide regulations
- Rimfire rifles .22 caliber and smaller may be used from sunset to sunrise.
- Furbearer hunting closed during Firearm Deer Season
- Windshield Card required
- Boat launches
- More information