Apply now for a Deer Firearm/Muzzleloader Permit!
Vesely/Wilmington Shrub Prairie State Natural Area
Site Contact Info
- Office phone: 815-423-5326
- Office address: Des Plaines SFWA, 24621 N. River Rd., Wilmington, IL 60481
- Site coordinates: 41.28004 -88.1529
- County: Will
- Site Superintendent
- District Wildlife Biologist
- Conservation Police
- Huntable acres: 305
- Habitat: The area is dominated by open habitats, such as native prairie, cool season grasslands and agricultural fields and contains woodlands and wetlands.
- Digital Map
- Printable Map
Site Specific Regulations
- All statewide hunting regulations apply at site unless noted hereafter.
- Site requires use of windshield card, displayed on vehicle dashboard, to report hunting effort and harvest by 15 February.
- Use Hunt Planner to find hunting seasons open at this site.
- CWD has been present in Will County. Firearm hunters must physically report their harvest to the nearest check station for sampling. Archery hunters are not required to submit samples for testing, but it is strongly suggested. For more information, contact the District Wildlife Biologist, or visit our CWD webpage.
- A hunter’s shotgun cannot be capable of firing more than three consecutive shots.
- Before hunting, the hunter should note posted regulations to determine further restrictions.
- Only 4 hunters maximum at any given time are allowed to hunt on the site per day.
- Species-specific rules:
- Statewide regulations prevail, but only 4 hunters maximum at any given time are allowed to hunt on the site per day.
- While CWD testing is not required for deer harvested during Archery deer season, it is strongly suggested to submit a sample to the nearest self-serve Head Drop-Off Station. (Find nearest station here)
- Hunter trips and harvest must be reported to the windshield card system, and harvest must be checked according to statewide regulations.
- Only non-piercing, portable tree stands are allowed.
- Stands must be removed daily.
- Firearm deer hunting is allowed during first and second firearm seasons only.
- All deer harvested with a firearm in CWD monitored counties are required to be taken to the nearest check station (Find nearest check station here)
- Firearm deer hunters must possess a site-specific firearm deer permit for Vesely Land & Water Reserve/Wilmington Shrub Prairie N.P. for the specific season they are hunting on the site.
- Permits are allocated through state lottery.
- Harvest must also be checked according to statewide regulations.
- Only portable, non-piercing tree stands are allowed.
- Stands must be removed daily.
- Spring Shotgun
- A permit allocated through state lottery is required. Click here to apply.
- All hunters must possess a site-specific turkey permit for Vesely Land & Water Reserve/Wilmington Shrub Prairie N.P. for the specific season they are hunting on the site.
- Harvest must be checked according to statewide regulations.
- Turkey hunting is not permitted on the nature preserve portion of the site.
- No waterfowl hunting permitted.
- No squirrel hunting permitted.
- No rabbit hunting permitted.
- No upland bird hunting permitted.
- No furbearer hunting permitted.