Public Duck and Goose Hunting Area Permit First Lottery Begins August 16!
Tapley Woods State Natural Area
Site Contact Info
- Huntable acres: 259
- Habitat: Very steep, unglaciated ridges are timbered, with mature oak and hickory as the dominant tree species. Undergrowth is dense which makes walking difficult.
Site Specific Regulations
- Active habitat management will be occurring throughout the year on the site.
- All statewide hunting regulations apply at site unless noted hereafter.
- Site requires use of windshield card, displayed on vehicle dashboard, to report hunting effort and harvest by 15 February.
- Use Hunt Planner to find hunting seasons open at this site.
- Area is closed to non-hunters during deer firearm seasons (youth, firearm, CWD, and muzzleloader), and the area is closed until 1 pm during turkey firearm seasons (spring and youth).
- Ground fires and camping not permitted
- Species-specific rules:
- Archery deer hunting is closed during firearm deer seasons (youth, firearm, CWD, and muzzleloader hunting seasons).
- Firearm (Youth, Firearm, CWD, and Muzzleloader)
- For all firearm deer seasons, hunters must obtain a special-hunt-area permit. Special-hunt-area permits are not valid anywhere else in the county. County permits are not valid for the special hunt area.
- Firearm deer hunting is permitted during first and second deer seasons.
- Muzzleloader deer hunting is only permitted during the 2nd portion of muzzleloader deer hunting season.
- Muzzleloader-only deer hunting permit is invalid during the 2nd portion of the firearm deer season.
- Youth deer hunters must hold a Jo Daviess Co. permit and must contact the site office to be issued a youth season permit (free site hunting permit, windshield card).
- One non-piercing, portable tree stand is allowed per hunter. Stand must be removed at the end of each day’s hunt.
- Fall Archery
- Archery hunting is closed during all firearm deer seasons.
- Fall Shotgun and Spring Turkey Hunting
- Turkey hunters must obtain a Special Hunt Area permit for Tapley Woods SNA, allocated through the permit office in Springfield. Special Hunt Area permits are not valid anywhere else in the county. County permits are not valid for the Special Hunt Area.
- Must hold a Jo Daviess Co. permit and must contact the site office to be issued a youth season permit (free site hunting permit, windshield card).
- Area closed to non-hunters during deer firearm seasons (Youth, Firearm, CWD, and Muzzleloader) and until 1 pm during turkey firearm seasons.
- Waterfowl hunting not permitted
- Squirrel hunting closed during all firearm deer seasons (youth, firearm, CWD, and muzzleloader)
- Squirrel hunting can only be done with shotgun or bow and arrow.
- Rabbit hunting closed during all firearm deer seasons (youth, firearm, CWD, and muzzleloader)
- Rabbit hunting can only be done with shotgun or bow and arrow.
- Dove hunting not permitted
- Quail hunting not permitted
- Furbearer trapping not permitted
- Statewide regulations
- Rimfire rifles .22 caliber and smaller may be used from sunset to sunrise.
- Furbearer hunting closed during Firearm Deer Season
- Hunters with a valid, unfilled firearm deer permit for the hunt area may take coyotes during legal hours of the firearm deer season. Otherwise, the use of shotgun slugs to take furbearing mammals is prohibited on state sites.
- Coyote and striped skunk season coincides with the statewide fox season.
- Windshield Card required