2021 Spring Turkey 3rd Lottery Deadline Approaching
Prairie Ridge State Natural Area
Site Contact Info
- Huntable acres: 455 (Archery Deer Hunting) or 2916 (Firearm Deer Hunting)
- Habitat: Prairie Ridge SNA contains native tall-grass prairies and marshlands. Great care is taken to ensure the continued protection and presence of a number of endangered species. Prairie Ridge has the distinction of having the state’s only breeding population of the state-endangered greater prairie-chicken.
- Digital Map
- Printable Map – Firearm Deer
- Printable Map – Archery Deer
Site Specific Regulations
- All statewide hunting regulations apply at site unless noted hereafter.
- Site requires use of windshield card, displayed on vehicle dashboard, to report hunting effort and harvest by 15 February.
- Use Hunt Planner to find hunting seasons open at this site.
- Hunters should avoid disturbance to the natural community due to the presence of endangered species and must use extreme care not to injure non-targeted species.
- Hunters must not enter restricted areas. No hunting is allowed at the land sections owned by the Illinois Audubon Society, which are the Robert Ridgeway Grassland and the Graber Grassland.
- A person must gain permission from site manager to enter area, except an archery deer hunter during season at selected tract and a firearm deer hunter with valid site-specific permit (Prairie Ridge SNA) during his or her firearm deer hunting season.
- Species-specific rules:
- One non-piercing, portable tree stand or ground blind is allowed per hunter.
- Stands and ground blinds may be left unattended from September 15 to January 31 and must be marked with owner’s name, address and telephone number.
- Ground blinds, if used during firearm or muzzleloader deer seasons, must display blaze orange, visible from all directions.
- Archery deer hunting is open on 4 selected tracts only. (See map.)
- Archery deer hunting is closed during the statewide firearm deer seasons, but continues through the youth, muzzleloader, and late winter deer seasons.
- A site-specific permit, issued for Prairie Ridge SNA, is required.
- Only selected tracts at this site are open for the firearm deer season.
- Only select tracts are open to firearm deer hunting.
- A site-specific permit is required.
- Muzzleloader deer season is closed during the second firearm deer season.
- Only selected tracts at this site are open for deer hunting.
- Turkey hunting is not permitted.
- Waterfowl hunting is not permitted.
- Squirrel and rabbit hunting are not permitted.
- Upland bird hunting is not permitted.
- Furbearer trapping and furbearer hunting are not permitted.