Spring turkey 1st lottery open
Mitchell’s Grove Nature Preserve
Site Contact Info
- Huntable acres: 185
- Habitat: The site is located at the confluence of Tomahawk Creek and the Little Vermilion River and has acreages of mature second-growth forest, remnant hill prairie, and wet prairie. The terrain with its sandstone rock outcroppings is very rugged in places.
- Digital Map
- Printable Map
Site Specific Regulations
- All statewide hunting regulations apply at site unless noted hereafter.
- Site requires use of windshield card, displayed on vehicle dashboard, to report hunting effort and harvest by 15 February.
- Use Hunt Planner to find hunting seasons open at this site.
- Deer hunting only permitted at this site.
- Must not remove deer antlers
- Species-specific rules:
- Hunters engaged in deer hunting with the use of a firearm are required to wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches.
- Tree stands must be non-piercing, portable, and tagged with the hunter’s name, address, and phone number. All stands must be removed daily.
- Deer hunters may use a shotgun or handgun during the firearm deer seasons, a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader deer season, or a bow & arrow during archery deer season.
- Required to sign in prior to hunting on the sheets provided at the Mitchell’s Grove parking lot.
- Hunters must display and return parking passes daily.
- Only antlerless deer may be harvested in October.
- Either sex deer may be harvested from Nov 1 to the end of the season.
- Closed during statewide firearm, muzzleloader & special CWD firearm deer seasons.
- Must check out and report harvest immediately after the conclusion of the hunt on the sheets at the Mitchell’s Grove parking lot.
Firearm and Muzzleloader
- Firearm deer hunting is permitted during first and second firearm deer seasons.
- Firearm and muzzleloader deer hunters must have a Starved Rock site-specific permit.
- Hunters are required to check in before 5 am at the Matthiessen State Park check station.
- If any permits are not claimed, a drawing to allocate standby permits will be held at 5:30 am.
- Standby hunters will be allowed to enter the field after the drawing at 5:30 am & 12 pm.
- Bonus buck program allows the first state-issued permit to be for antlerless deer only; but after a hunter harvests that deer and checks the deer at the manned check station at Matthiessen State Park’s maintenance building, a $5.00 permit may be issued for either sex.
- Check station closes at 6 pm.
- All hunters must attend the safety talk before entering the field.
- Deer harvested must be checked in/reported at the check station and must be reported as outlined in the statewide rules & regulations for reporting deer harvested during the regular statewide deer season.
Special CWD Season
- Statewide regulations
- Must have valid FOID card, current hunting license, and current habitat stamp on their person while hunting.
- Turkey hunting not permitted
- Waterfowl hunting not permitted
- Squirrel hunting not permitted
- Rabbit hunting not permitted
- Upland bird hunting not permitted
- Furbearer trapping not permitted
- Furbearer hunting not permitted