UPCOMING: Late-winter/CWD Deer Season and Spring Turkey 2nd Lottery Closing
Des Plaines Game Propagation Center
Site Contact Info
- Huntable acres: Total Acres-240; Huntable Acres-134; Habitat types-Timber- 51; Grasslands/Agriculture-76; Wetlands-7
- Habitat: A tranquil setting, flowing rivers and natural prairie land with an abundance of wildlife. Des Plaines State Fish and Wildlife Area is open habitats such as native prairie, cool season grasses and agricultural fields. Woodlands, wetlands & river (Des Plaines & Kankakee) frontage account for the balance of the site.
- Digital Map
- Printable Map
Site Specific Regulations
- All statewide hunting regulations apply at site unless noted hereafter,
- Site requires use of windshield card displayed on vehicle dashboard to report hunting effort and harvest by 15 February.
- Use Hunt Planner to find hunting seasons open at this site.
- Hunters should observe all posted regulations and check-in at the the site office.
- Species-specific rules:
- Season runs during the month of October: Monday through Friday only.
- During the months of November, December, & January: closed Sundays.
- Closed during firearm deer season.
- Hunters must sign in and sign out daily. Failure to do so will result in loss of hunting privileges.
- Tree Stands: Only portable non-piercing tree stands/steps allowed, must be removed daily.
- Parking: Park along the entrance drive outside front gate. Do not block any access.
- Scouting: Scouting will only be allowed the last full week (M – F) in September.
- Turkey hunting is not permitted.
- Waterfowl hunting is not permitted.
- Squirrel hunting is not permitted.
- Rabbit hunting is not permitted.
- Upland bird hunting is not permitted.
- A total of one (1) trapping permit will be allocated annually by mail-in drawing.
- Those interested should submit their name, address & phone number to:
- District Wildlife Biologist, DPGPC Trapping, 30550 South Boathouse Rd., Wilmington, IL 60481
- From August 1 – 31 annually.
- Permit winner to be notified by October 1.
- Trapper is required to wear blaze orange while on site.
- Trapper to report effort & harvest by April 1.
- Furbearer hunting is not allowed